The original post office for Orchard was established in 1881 and was located one mile south and three fourth miles west of the main intersection of the town of Orchard. The post office was moved to its present location, 141 E 2nd, when the railroad came through about 1890.

The Village was named Orchard because a fruit orchard was planted in the area. Orchard was often called the ‘Windmill Town’ because many of the families had their own wells with pumps, windmill power, and cisterns. Orchard grew steadily through the years with many established businesses and families.

Today Orchard is a community proud of their heritage. Homes, schools, churches and the character of the people make up the backbone of Orchard. Orchard is a village of neighbors helping neighbors.